L.A. Free-Net Community Computer System
User Agreement and Disclaimer
In exchange for the use of the LA Free-Net Community
Computer System, I understand and agree to the following:
- That the use of the Free-Net is a privilege which may be revoked by
the administration of the system at any time for abusive conduct. Such
conduct would include, but not be limited to, the placing of unlawful
information on the system and the use of obscene, abusive, or otherwise
objectionable language in either public or, upon registration of
complaint, private messages. The staff of the LA Free-Net
will be the sole arbiter of what constitutes obscene, abusive, or
- That the LA Free-Net reserves the right to review any material
stored in files to which all users have access and will edit or remove
any material which the LA Free-Net staff, in its sole discretion,
believes may be unlawful, obscene, abusive, or otherwise
- That all information, services and features contained on the LA
Free-Net are intended for the private use of its users.
- No product or service advertising may be transmitted to LA
Free-Net users or others except to those areas established for the sale of
products and services.
- Deliberate forging another's user ID or entering fictitious information
about your account are cause for immediate cancellation of an account.
- Any activity resulting in excessive use of the
facilities of the LA Free-Net, such as excessive incoming or outgoing
email, must cease immediately upon email notification from LAFN operations
or the Executive Director. In case such activity seriously hinders the
operations of LAFN, the operations staff may suspend the offending
application without prior notice to the user responsible for the
application. The determination of excessive use or use seriously hindering
the operations of LAFN shall be made at the sole discretion of the the
Steering Committee or its designates.
- Using an individual account for high volume or commercial use (e.g.,
revenue generation, advertising, etc.) is prohibited. Regular dial-in users
agree not to use any automatic method to avoid inactivity disconnect or
to automatically redial to maintain a connection unless actively using it.
Users agree not to provide any public information services over a
- Violating copyright is against the law and subjects the user to
cancellation of account. Copyright infringements should be reported to the
LA Free-Net Operations (email@example.com).
- That all information contained on the LA Free-Net is placed there
for general informational and entertainment purposes and is, in no way,
intended to refer to, or be applicable to, any specific person, case,
- I consent to receive periodic bulletins, e-mails, and renewal notices from LAFN.
- That the LA Free-Net does not warrant that the functions
of the system will meet any specific requirements you may have, or that
it will be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall it be liable for any
direct or indirect, incidental, or consequential damages (including lost
data, information, or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with
the use, operation, or inability to use the system.
- To abide by such rules and regulations of system usage as may be
promulgated from time to time by the administrators of the Free-Net.
- In consideration for the privilege of using the LA
Free-Net and in consideration for having access to the information
contained on it, I hereby release the LA Free-Net, its
operators, and any institutions with which they are affiliated from
any and all claims of any nature arising from my use, or inability to
use, the Free-Net.
DSL Terms and Conditions
- All LAFN accounts are subject to the LAFN User Agreement. Use of LAFN
service indicates acceptance of these terms. By ordering DSL service, you
also agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions:
- LAFN reserves the right to pass on from time to time to its DSL users any
price increases it incurs in providing its DSL service.
- For Introductory Rate DSL, there is a one year committment. Any
termination prior to the completion of the year will not result in any refund.
At the end of the introductory year, the DSL rates will go up.
- For Flat Rate DSL, there is no minimum term for LAFN DSL.
Service is on a month-to-month
basis. You can terminate at any time without any penalty.
Account terminations will be prorated to the termination month.
- There is no
grace period on DSL service. Failure to renew by the expiration date will
result in termination of DSL service on that date. Any applicable taxes,
telecommunications surcharges or other governmental charges are the
customer's sole responsibility. Customer must maintain AT&T telephone service
in continuous working order in order to maintain DSL circuit. Any action
taken by the customer resulting in telephone service being disconnected or
moved will result in loss of DSL service. Customer remains bound by the
one-year term in all such cases, and early termination fees still apply.
You must be over 18 years of age to order DSL service.
- If, for reasons beyond the control of the customer, LAFN is unable to
provide a DSL circuit, we will accept returned equipment in new condition.
- If a user's DSL modem purchased through LAFN becomes defective within
the warranty period, the user shall inform LAFN. LAFN will provide an
RMA (Returned Materials Authorization) number and a shipping address.
The user will ship the defective unit to the address provided, and the
user will be reimbursed for the shipping charges upon submission of the
- Actual data transfer rates may vary as measured between NIC at
customer's location and the DSL-equipped Central Office or Remote Terminal,
dependent upon several factors including line quality and loop length.
Minimum service speeds are subject to 10%-20% protocol overhead. Actual
transfer rates above 80% of the listed minimum transfer rate will be
considered acceptable. LAFN makes no guarantees regarding the availability
of DSL until service is established.
- LAFN makes no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, for
the service it is providing. LAFN will not be held responsible for any
damage you suffer from use of an account or service provided by LAFN, unless
otherwise agreed to in writing. This includes, but is not limited to,
equipment damage, failure or loss of data resulting from delays,
non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by the company's negligence
or your negligence or misuse.
- LAFN will not be responsible for outages that it is not notified about
by the customer. Customer must be available for troubleshooting and
connection setup. Customer has sole responsibility for any local network
infrastructure at the installation premises.
- Circuit will be assigned a single IP dynamically via DHCP. No special
software is typically required.